Monday, April 18, 2011

I Survived

Well...I survived my first day back to work and only had a mini melt down in my car.  I treated myself to Starbucks and walked through those all too familiar doors.  It almost felt as if I hadn't left.

Some highlights from my day (because I'm trying oh so hard to be positive):

-I got a new desk pad...may not seem like a big deal but when you are a government employee and have seen all the cutbacks you too would think a new desk pad is pretty darn rad.  And it is!  It's beautiful, crisp and clean (no rips, dents, tears or stains).  It showcases pictures of my beautiful babies and it quite frankly made my day a bit brighter.

-I got a new desk...and it's by a window.  This is prime office real estate baby!  I was giddy about my new desk.  No longer do I sit in the middle of the room and stare down a long hall way.  I like to think of my desk as a promotion.  So I tell myself..."good job Tabitha, you made it to work today and therefore you get a promotion-a new desk."  And I think I might just get myself a  plant.  Maybe a love fern.  And it will sit in a beautiful pot by my bright new window.

-Another bonus-the new desk was empty.  No used pens and highlighters.  So I got to go on a mini shopping trip around the office and pick out new pens, highlighters, tape dispenser thingy, stapler, whole punch etc.  I've always had a thing for office supply so this was a big deal for me.  And I brought out the  label maker...things got a bit crazy from there.

-I had adult conversations-always enjoyable and a positive.

-And I'm going to admit it-I felt somewhat sophisticated today.  Like I had another purpose besides being a wife, mother, sister and daughter.  That felt kinda nice but not nice enough to make me start loving work.

Negatives about my day:
-I missed my babies.  And I realized this is the longest I've EVER left Nathan.  I like to believe that both my boys missed me just as much as I missed them but I'm sure by the fit Lincoln threw when Kev went to pick him up that maybe they didn't.  I guess that's a good thing.  I know they are being loved.

I have to remind myself that quality is better than quantity.  I missed my babies but I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with them on Lincoln's bedroom floor reading stories.  I have to make the most out of my time with them.  That's what's important-good quality time with them!

Going back to work is going to be hard.  It's going to be hard having to wake up at 6:30 (I'm NOT a morning person).  It's going to be hard starting a new routine with the kids.  It's going to be hard getting out of the house on time.  And it's going to be hard making dinner every night knowing that all I want to do is be with the kids.

Blah...I have to go to work tomorrow:-)  Things is going to have to be something I get use to!

1 comment:

  1. Aww Tabitha!!! I totally related to everything, it's amazing that you can be gone for a year and literally feel like you never left!
    I hope tomorrow is ok, shortweek and a long weekend coming up, then time to easter egg hunt ( trying to find something to look forward to for you)

    ReplyDelete