Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I Have to Vent!

Growing up my dad was...hmm I want to say anal but that doesn't sound too lady like so I'll say "particular."  We weren't allowed to lye on the couch.  If you were tired then you were told to go upstairs and have a nap.  We weren't allowed to "slam" the car door shut and we weren't allowed to touch the walls.  He didn't like things getting wrecked or damaged.  I didn't get it.  And he's still like that.  My dad once got mad at my brothers because there was sand on the scooters after they had taken them to the beach.  Like I said he's very particular. 

But now I get it.  I totally get it.  I understand my dad.  And the truth is...I've inherited his "particular-ness."

He likes things a certain way.  He takes pride in his stuff.  Yes I definitely understand him now!

There is a dent in my fridge.  I am annoyed.  And I totally understand my dad at this moment.  Oh my gosh I've become my dad!  I too don't let my kids touch the walls (oh the fingerprints).  I don't allow toys in the kitchen (for this reason) and I don't allow them to smash their toys into the baseboards.  Anal I know.  And I've been told over and over again "but you  have kids it's going to happen."  And I know that.  But I'm like my dad.  I'm particular.  I like things a certain way.  I take pride in my stuff (and I'm not saying that if your kids do smash the walls that you don't take pride in your stuff...just needed to clarify:-)  Kevin made the first dent in our wall and I swear I could have killed him just with the look in my eyes.  I felt my blood pressure rise.  That was it...our house was ruined.  FYI that dent will be fixed along with all the little scratches he made yesterday installing his control 4 light fixtures.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how big of a deal is a dent in the fridge?  I know it's not a big deal but I like my stuff looking nice.  And this fridge is my pride and joy.  It's beautiful and at one point in it's life is was perfect.  It cost 6 times the amount of my first car and the sad truth is that it was too long ago that I was still driving my first car.  I love my fridge.  The way the display lights up, the way the freezer is at the bottom, the way the interior lights turn on as if to say "hello and welcome."  Yes I will get over this (once the dent is fixed).  And yes the dent will get fixed (I've already googled how-dry ice and a blow dryer).  And yes I have contemplated replacing the freezer door (if my at home remedy doesn't work).  And yes I will still enforce the "no toys in the kitchen rule" and at this point I'm even thinking of a "no kids in the kitchen rule"-now I'm getting harsh and crazy.

It's kinda funny how things my parents did when I was a kid drove me crazy and now here I am probably driving my own kids crazy.  And I know they probably don't get why I always remind them not to touch the walls or when I yell "hey my baseboards!" but I'm hoping maybe one day they'll take pride in not only there stuff but other people's stuff as well.  And I have a feeling that one of them is guilty of denting the fridge...or maybe it was Kevin and he's too afraid to tell me.  And if I was him I'd be afraid of me too (and I'm partially joking...I'm really not that mean)!

No comments:

Post a Comment