Thursday, February 3, 2011

Well...That Worked!

So after a night of reflecting, being grateful and feeling a tad bit guitly for feeling frustrated I decided to take a different approach to potty training this morning.  I decided to try the Michelle Duggar approach...drug induced patience.  Now I know she probably doesn't do drugs but that woman is uber patient...she's always so calm and kind and speaks so softly and nothing seems to ruffle her feathers-I seriously don't know how she does it with 19 kids.  And for the record I didn't start my day off doing drugs.  I just thought I would go with the flow, be patient, speak softly, move at Lincoln pace.  All the other times we had tried potty training I'd just keep asking him and asking him and asking him and if he wanted to sit on the potty then he'd sit on the potty and if he had an accident then we'd talk about it-there was no forcing him or crying or screaming and me begging and pleading-it was very low key and we just went with the flow.  This time around I really thought that I needed to be a little more forceful and aggressive and just give him that little push to let him know that we meant business (which clearly didn't work).  We had a showing at 9:30 so the kids and I needed something to do for an hour and a half.  We headed to McD's for some breakfast and to take advantage of the McDonald's play place...Lincoln peed his pants.  It wasn't a big deal at all and he denied peeing when I asked him.  When we got home he wanted to be changed and we talked about how uncomfortable it would have been to wear wet underwear and pants.  He was hanging around naked when I asked if he needed to go pee (I decided I wasn't going to force him to sit on the potty any more and if he peed on the floor or carpet - then oh well accidents happen and we've had plenty in the past (thank God for hardwood:-)  He said no like he always does.  I brought the potty out into the living room  and asked if he wanted to sit on it while watching TV-again he said no.  A few minutes later he sat on it (with the lid on), then I told him he needed to put the lid up...he listened and sat back down on it...a few minutes later..."Mama I peed"!  Yes he did!!!!  YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!  I was so unbelievably proud!!!!!  And before his nap I told him he had two choices-1. take kitty, teddy and b and go have a nap or 2. sit on your potty and watch cartoons...of course he chose to watch cartoons and he came out to tell me he peed!  Yes!!!  And tonight before bed I told him again he had two choices (love this whole choice thing-it totally helps during melt downs too)-1. go and put your pj's on or sit in mommy and daddy's room on your potty and watch cartoons.  Sure enough a few minutes later he came out to tell us he had peed!  There were high fives and cheering!  Needless to say it was a VERY successful day...and yes I've tried this approach before with no such luck.  I think a lot of it had to do with timing (I don't think he was ready before), moving at his pace and letting him feel as if he's making the decisions!  Today was great...actually it was better than great!!! Lincoln mommy is so very proud of you!!!!!  Ahhh I feel so refreshed after yesterday and I know tomorrow will be a whole new day but I just need to follow Lincoln's lead-my stubborn, hard headed little boy!

2 comments:

  1. tabitha.. do you have a drug problem??!! bahaha.. Go lincoln!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No...not yet...but I thought I was going to have to start in order to get me through this...that or alcohol! He's finally got it!!!!

    ReplyDelete