Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Little Helper

Lately Lincoln has been wanting to help with everything-laundry, unloading the dishwasher, getting himself dressed and undressed, feeding Nate...the list goes on and on and I am loving it (well most of the time because he literally wants to do everything himself and sometimes time just isn't on our side).  Kevin and I often ponder about those days when our boys are older enough to be given chores.  Oh the time I’ll have on my hands I may even be able to take up a hobbyJ  I love watching him grow but I can’t help but to feel abit sad-he’s growing up WAY to quickly.  There are times where I just look over at him and he just looks so darn mature-when did he grow up so fast?  One day I know I’m going to miss his enthusiasm to help and for now I’m going to soak it up!  God only knows this phase probably won’t last long. 
Babies really do grow up so fast.  I remember people telling me when Linc was first born “Oh they grow up so fast” and they were right.  And every second of every day I tried to take it all in...the good, the bad and the ugly but time just keeps on ticking!  I love Lincoln’s independence...even when it slows me down...I guess it’s a reminder for me to slow down and take a breath for a moment while he tries to figure out how to buckle his car seat (which by the way he can’t and we’ve spent countless wasted minutes arguing over it but he insists on doing himself...with the help of me of course).  I know he needs that time to figure out the world around him.  I wish I could tell him to not grow up so quickly but yet I am so grateful that he is happy and healthy and able to accomplish so much in such a short amount of time.  I know there are little ones out there who aren’t so lucky!  I have celebrated all of Lincoln’s milestone’s: sitting, crawling, walking, talking etc. and I will continue to do so and I know that little boy will be able to do anything he puts his mind too!
Tonight I was sitting at the McDonald’s drive-thru watching this homeless man and he broke my heart.  That man has (or had) parents and I’m sure they had such hopes and dreams for their little boy and I couldn’t help but wonder “where did things go wrong?”  I know there is a certain point in both my boys life where I’ll just have to let go and let them venture out into this big dark exciting world and I pray...oh how I pray...that they live good and wonderful lives full of love, laughter and happiness.  And one day they will be husbands and fathers (and good ones I hope) and I know they will make me proud...cause I already am.  I am so proud of my boys so very very proud.
So in the mean time all I can do is love and teach and help and pray and watch them grow into big strong amazing men!  I just want to bottle these moments forever so that I never ever forget them!
I apologize for the nakedness but I can't keep a diaper on this kid:-)



3 comments:

  1. Awwww brought tears to my eyes. You should be a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabitha, thats so adorable! Your 'little helper' looks abit like mine - Except mine still wears pants, I cant wait until he figures out how to take them off too! haha!
    Great post.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crying. I know exactly what you mean.
    And I know what you mean about the diaper too..lol.
    But still crying.

    ReplyDelete