Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Meet the Teachers

Today was "meet the teachers" day at Lincoln's pre-school.  He's met them once before but today was the official meeting day and the realization that soon, very soon, my little boy will be in school three afternoons a week.  Bittersweet.

He asked me to take a picture of him in front of his new school.  So I snapped a few and he says to me "one more."  That's my boy:-) 

All I can say is that I am so blessed and so happy that Lincoln is in such a great pre-school with such amazing teachers (aren't they all?:-)!  His teachers radiate love and patience.  Bless their hearts.  And bless them for being in a room with so many 4 year olds without going crazy.  All pre-school teachers need a pat on the back! 

And the tear jerker for me is when his teacher said to me "we feel so honoured that you trust us with your son."  I had to repeat to myself "hold it together, hold it together...this a a pre-school meet and great!" as tears pooled in my eyes.   I hope she didn't notice.  I don't know why this process is so emotional for me?  Is it because I'm having to slowly let go?  Is it because he's not always going to be with me?  Sometimes my kids drive me crazy. Absolutely crazy. But I always love that we are together.

I already know it...his first day of pre-school is going to be a "cut the cord" moment.  I will ugly cry...that is a given.  I will probably sit in my car and bawl like a baby.  I'll be a hot mess.  I'll probably sob the whole way home.  My baby is growing up.  But at the same time I know my heart will be leaping for joy for him.  He is so excited about school.  And I'm excited for him (really I am).  September 10, 2012 will be Lincoln's first day of school.  No longer will my little boy be home with my 24/7.  That makes me want to cry now just thinking about it.  That makes me want to shelter him and never let him go.  I don't know if I'm ready for this.  This whole "school" thing.  It's going to be the first "real" day where I have to let him go...into the care of someone else that isn't family or a good friend.  He's becoming more and more independent.  And I'm slowly letting go... 

I received a list of things we need for the first day of school:
-new Velcro, non-marking shoes...awesome
-a change of clothes
-comfort items in ziploc bag in case of an earthquake.

Yes a freakin earthquake!  What happens if there is an earthquake and Lincoln's at school?  That thought clenches my heart.  And the reality sets in that I will not always have Lincoln by my side.  He's going to grow up.  In fact it's happening right before my very eyes.  I honestly don't really want to think about that too much.  Why does time have to go by so fast?

I know pre-school will be good for him (or daycare as my dad calls it).  I know he needs it.  I know he needs time away from his brother and sister.  I know he needs to grow and learn and meet new friends without me hovering over him watching his every move.  This is his moment.  His first real steps into the "big world."  And I know there are lot's to look forward to...art work, stories about his day, show and tell and watching him grow academically.

This will be a new routine for us.  One that will take some adapting to.  I'm already a ball of emotions.  Oh boy...here come the tears...this isn't going to be easy (for me at least:-)

And I'll close with a cute little Lincoln conversation.
Lincoln: "mommy how do I stop growing?"
Me: "You can't"
Lincoln: "well what happens when I'm too big and can't fit into the house?"

The sweet innocence of a 4 year old.  I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment