Monday, June 18, 2012

Potty Training Regression?

I have a question mark after potty training regression because I'm assuming that's what it was...or at least I'm hoping that's what it was:-) 

A week and a half ago Nate had an accident.  No biggie.  Accidents happen.  And then for the next 3 days after that one accident led to the next.  Non stop.  I'd be in the middle of talking to him about peeing in his underwear and he'd start to pee again!  I thought I was going to go crazy!  I was about to declare that my little buddy was potty trained (except for nights) and dude suddenly starts wetting himself all the time.  And I mean ALL the time!  Every chance he got he'd pee himself!  And he stop telling me when he had to pee.  It was worse than the first few days when we started potty training!  We'd never had that many accidents before. 

We were doing so good.  When he had to go the bathroom he just walked to the bathroom, asked me to turn on the light and went.  No issues what so ever and then this happened.  After 4 days of constant accidents I felt defeated.  I didn't know what was up.  And I was worried.  Was there something physically wrong with him?  Maybe emotionally wrong?  What was I doing wrong?  We had stopped with the whole treat thing only because he had been doing so well for weeks and my friend Kacey suggested I bring the treat thing back.  So we did and thankfully we are now back on track.  It was a rough 4 days.  And I was running out of underwear for him and constantly washing laundry. 

I have no idea what brought this on.  And there hadn't been any changes in our lives that I could think of that would cause him to regress.   I googled "potty training regression" and the one thing I kept reading was to remain patient (kinda hard to do when buddy is wetting himself 12 times a day) and to not overreact and don't punish.  By day 5 I had to dig deep and bring out my inner Michelle Duggar (soft calm voice) while in my head I was freaking out and wanting to pull every strand of hair from my head!  Seriously sometimes remaining calm and speaking softly solves alot of issues.  Sometimes:-)  It's been a good week!  He's back to finally telling me when he has to pee and waking up dry from his naps and when we are out and about and he tells me he needs to pee he's been holding it until we get home (or find a bathroom).

I know he's young.  And this is my second time potty training a little one and it's hard work.  I almost feel like Lincoln was easier (sort of) because he was older (2.5 years) and understood better.  It's just one of those areas where some kids get it and some kids don't and each child develops differently.  I can't even compare Lincoln to Nathan because they are two separate individuals and I have to keep reminding myself that.  Lincoln is not Nathan and Nathan is not Lincoln and they well learn at different rates.  Ahhh motherhood.  I'm constantly learning:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment