Sunday, April 29, 2012

Nates "New" Room

On Thursday I got the urge to paint.  This doesn't happen very often...in fact I don't think it's ever happened.  But I think I was needing something for these post vacation blues.  One too many times I'd catch myself looking at the time and thinking "if we were in Maui right now we'd be doing..."  I miss Maui.  I miss my morning walks along the beach with my daughter.  I miss drinking coffee on the patio with my mom.  I miss the sun, the sand, the pool.  I miss date nights and walking along the beach at nights in nothing but shorts and a tank top.  I miss the heat, the flowers, the smell, the sounds of the birds.  I miss it all!  So with all that said I needed a "pick me up" and what better way to get my mind off Maui then to paint!  That and I knew I was going to be stuck at home for a few days with Nate potty training and cabin fever was setting in fast!  I originally was only going to paint Lincoln's room but it's been a year since we built our house and the chair rail in Nate's room still isn't up!  So I took matters into my own hands (sorry Kev I couldn't wait any longer:-) and I decided to paint both rooms!  Moral of this story...if Kevin procrastinates long enough he won't have to do it:-) 

I had my colors narrowed down and just needed to make a decision!  I brought my choices to Benjamin Moore and had the lady help me choose.  I bought the supplies and picked up a sample can.  The color is Stonington Gray.  The color didn't end up working in Lincoln's room.  His room is large and bright (he has 3 big windows) and the color looked to blue on the walls.  I painted a section on Nates wall and loved the color in his room (his room faces east and isn't as bright).  So in the end Nate's room got painted!  When I get something in my head I have to do it...like now!  So after dinner London and I headed back down to Benjamin Moore and picked up a gallon of paint!  I put the the kids to bed and I started painting.  Kevin's response-"Why would you start painting at 8 o'clock at night?"  Why wouldn't I?  That's prime painting time-kids are sleeping and I know I'm not going to be interrupted.  And once I started I didn't stop!  I finally finished the second coat at 2:30 am and called it a night!

I highly recommmend Benjamin Moore paint.  We've painted in the past and have always required 2 gallons to paint a small room.  Benjamin Moore paint is more expensive but I only needed 1 gallon to paint Nates room (and I had paint left over).  I found it goes on easy and covers really well!

What a difference a coat of paint can make.  Nates room finally looks complete and I love it!  I had 2 silver picture frames on Nate's wall and they never looked just right-I didn't know if it was the frames or the matting and it always kinda bothered me.  Every time I went into his room I had that thought "What about these frames doesn't look right?"  Now the picture frames look perfect on his wall.  The color also goes really well with his curtains.  It feels so good knowing Nates room is complete.  I can check that room off my to do list.


So here are some BEFORE pictures:



AFTER:





No comments:

Post a Comment