Sunday, September 23, 2012

Binge and Purge (of Clothing that is)

Last year around this time I went on a cleaning spree of our house and I was committed to getting rid of anything and everything we didn't use and/or need.  It came to a halt when I went on bed rest. 

Every few months I go through our closets and get rid of clothes...it's usually when Big Brother phones or Canadian Diabetes.  What really sparked my cleaning binge was my up and coming shopping trip with a good friend.  I dug deep and I've been cleaning like a mad woman.  I think I've eliminated about a third of my clothes if not more.  In fact my closet looks bare and Kevin even commented on how much more clothing he has then me (this has never happened).  I'm a slight hoarder.  I have a pair of jeans from grade 9.  I believe they are boot cut.  I've kept them because I can still fit into them.  It's not as impressive at it sounds...I'm sure the elastic in the jean material is shot therefore that is the only reason why I have been able to get into them.  I think the last time I wore them was when I was preggers with Lincoln...that would be 5 years ago.  FYI they have been donated.  I've also been hoarding the clothes I left the hospital in after I've had my babies...and the shirt I was wearing when Kevin proposed....over 7 years ago.  I've also been holding on to my "work" clothes...even though I don't have a job.  Nothing good can come from holding onto "work" clothes for when I return to work...in say 5-6 years.

I've also learned a few things as I've been going through my closet:

-Don't buy clothes when your pregnant with intentions to wear them when your NOT...they never look as good later on.

-Don't buy clothes right after you've HAD the baby because you assume it's going to look good once you've lost the baby weight.

-Don't impulse buy...I think I'm bad for this.  Especially when I'm having a good hair day or the lighting in the change room is just right making my skin look flawless.  It's moments like that when I buy it all only to end up coming home and seeing something completely different in the mirror.

The truth is...I put more effort into clothing my kids then I do myself.  I get so busy getting the 3 littles ones ready that by the time I get to myself we're running late and I end up throwing on jeans and a t-shirt.  I tend to gravitate towards the same things day in and day out.  And Pinterest almost makes things worse.  Ugh!  Pinterest is flooded with super cool outfits and when your in the midst of a closet clean out it can be a good thing and a bad thing.  It's bad because I look at the outfits on Pinterest and at my own clothes and it makes me feel drab but on the other hand Pinterest gives me ideas of new things to buy.  In fact I've started a list of items I'm in search of!

Now that fall is here I'm going to start cleaning out every square inch of this house.  I've started with the laundry room and hall closet.  I found a basket full of scarves and pashmina's from forever ago and those have all been donated.  I have this super large basket in our hallway closet with winter items in them (goggles, gloves, hats scarves etc.) and I have 2 baskets in the laundry room with towels and blankets for summer.  I've decided to switch these items around seeing as we won't be using our towels and blankets any more and now the winter items are more accessible. 

It feels good to clean but yet it's also a bit sickening seeing the bags of clothes and knowing there are hundreds if not thousands of dollars just sitting there.  This upcoming shopping trip I'm going to focus on getting some classic good quality pieces that can be paired with cheaper trendier items.  I want to re-vamp my wardrobe and seeing as I'm about to turn 30.  It's about time I binge on some new clothing for myself:-)

In the mean time I'll be happy purging of old clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment